About Uptown / West Oakland
Uptown and West Oakland are strategically located between 2 of the 3 largest “city centers” in Pennsylvania - Downtown and Oakland. New investments in housing and start-up businesses are happening both within and around Uptown. For these reasons, Uptown and West Oakland present unparalleled opportunities to encourage new investment that supports new and growing businesses but also creates opportunities for existing residents.
Consider the following:
- An investment in Uptown, and the Fifth/Forbes Corridor that runs through it, is an example of our mutual commitment to communities that have not shared in Pittsburgh’s growth and recovery up until this point.
- Uptown presents the ability to build from the market strengths of Downtown and Oakland while supporting grassroots efforts being led by residents, entrepreneurs, and local institutions throughout the neighborhood.
- Ongoing discussion of transit investments is likely to drive positive development and is bringing attention to the neighborhood.
- Developing an environmentally innovative, equitable plan is a timely approach that addresses neighborhood challenges and builds on existing momentum across the city.
- Collaboration and trust between all corridor stakeholders--community residents, institutions, businesses, and government--is critical for setting a framework for investment for sustainable growth in the corridor.
- The processes and goals of the Ecoinnovation District should serve as a model for deployment into other areas in the City of Pittsburgh.